I've been anticipating a date night for Lily for quite some time now. She's ten months old and I was hoping to have her bred before the winter was over. But I wasn't happy with her size and weight. Pickles is three months younger than Lily and is just as big, if not slightly bigger than Lily.
Since I can't breed our Boer buck to Lily (he's her brother), I had to go in search of another Boer buck. And I finally got in touch with a lady about an hour and a half from here that raises registered and non-registered Boers. She has a nice buck that is full-blodded Boer, but not registered and she was willing to either let us take her buck, let us bring Lily for the day, or keep Lily there at her place for a month (just to make sure the breeding took). I could also have her bred to one of her "fancy-pants" registered bucks, but figured since we weren't going to sell the offspring I didn't want to / need to spend the extra money. I expressed my concerns about Lily's weight to her and she said that she normally waits until the does are eighty pounds or a year old. So off I went to weigh the girls.
Pickles, born on June 28th of last year weighed exactly sixty pounds. Lily, born almost three months later than Pickles, weighed fifty-seven pounds. Not sure why Pickles grew faster than Lily. Although we did leave bottle feed Pickles for twelve weeks and I honestly have no idea how long Lily was on her dam as we bought her when she was almost six months old. You know, from the guy who wanted to start raising Boers for a living. The guy who just let the bucks run with the three & four month old doelings and said that they weren't being bred because they were "too young". Ugh. So maybe I just got suckered into buying a runt goat.
Guess breeding is going to be held off for a while. Which I suppose isn't that bad. Even if I did have Lily bred now, she'd be kidding in the middle of summer. Not so much fun when it's a billion degrees outside and the bugs are out in full force. So I'll wait a few more months and have Lily and Pickles bred around the same time for a late Fall kidding. Lily to the nice goat lady's buck, and Pickles to our buck, Herman. I've never planned a kidding other than in the late winter or early spring, so I'm hoping that there's no big disadvantage to it.
Do any of my goat blogging buddies have any experience with Fall kiddings? I'd love to hear about them if you do!
And speaking of waiting, Annette is getting rather rotund. She's due to kid in twenty-four days. And Nettie will kid just shy of three weeks after that. So we'll be back in milk before you know it!