Before the goat seminar (which pretty much sucked), we had supper at their house which included beef stew, rolls and fried mushrooms. But not any ol' mushroom. Wild Coral mushrooms!
Aaron (Ag teacher's husband) has this uncanny knack for finding mushrooms. Like, he'll be driving down the road at 50 mph and spy a patch of morels growing in the ditch. A recent find included two huge zippy bags filled with these babies:
Some of which he drenched in a seasoned flour mixture and fried up for supper, and some of which came home with us. I've already sauteed a bunch of them in butter (and ate all by myself) and there are still a few left that have to be cooked today or they'll end up in the compost pile. Maybe atop a grilled venison burger......Mmmmmm.
It's too bad that I don't have an "expert" mushroom person around here. Although we don't seem to have any morel or coral mushrooms on our place, we do have an overabundance of what I think are honey mushrooms. Unfortunately, they have a poisonous look-alike; Jack-O-Lantern mushrooms. And the fact that these mushrooms are causing a lot of our oak trees to die is another bummer. So we have mushrooms...but none that we want.
I'm going to take Rhiannon for a little hike later on and see if we can find any edible munchies out in the woods. And I might even take the rifle with in case we go from searching for herbivore munchies to stumbling upon some carnivore munchies.