Monday, August 10, 2015

Shipping them off

Did I tell you how much more peaceful it was once Paul butchered all those extra roosters?  I could actually go outside during the day an not be audibly assaulted by the crowing wars of testosterone-pumped poultry.  I could hear crickets.  It was wonderful.

But there was still the issue of the baby goats.  Even though the Boer kids have been shipped off the 4-H barn for the summer, we were still up to sixteen goats and the basically useless Nigerian mix kids were still hanging out here, drinking too much milk from their mothers, eating too many leaves off our fruit trees, and of late, one of them got on top of the car.  That was the final straw.  Paul butchered one of the wethers, but there were still two wethers and two doelings left.  I couldn't for the life of me sell even the doelings.

The goat market had basically bottomed out recently and there was no way we (meaning Paul) were going to drive them an hour and a half away to the sale barn, mess around with paperwork, unload them, then drive another hour and a half home for beans.  So I put them up for sale again in the local FB sale page for cheap and a guy came and got them the next day.  A guy who was going to take them right to the sale barn that night.  But I didn't care.  I hope he made some money.  I was just glad that they were gone.  Yes, we could have butchered them and put them in the freezer, but even that would have entailed more work (for Paul, that is).  Their chances for survival were better at the sale barn than they were here so I suppose I feel a little bit better about it.
So now the goat yard is a much more peaceful, and much less crowded place to be.  That is until the end of September when we'll be getting back the four Boer kids....and bring us back up to sixteen goats again.

6 comments:

  1. Yep, we get so excited about breeding the mama goats and seeing the results, but then there are all these extra baby goats prancing around that we have to deal with. I remember it well! Good thing they don't multiply quite as fast as rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a terrible time selling our goats. No one was buying. Not even trading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a glut of goats here, as well. Nigerians got very popular and then everyone got them, bred them, and, well, ended up with tons of goats. Besides the noise, they are expensive to feed. Glad things are (temporarily) calming down at Krazo Acres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know all about roosters, goat kids, and peace and quiet! Seems this is a hard time of year to sell anything. No one wants to buy because they don't want to feed them over the winter. Makes me glad to have Kinders. I have a waiting list of folks who want them. Hoping it stays that way for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Enjoy the peach while you can!

    ReplyDelete