And I finished it last night! Well, not 100% finished, but darned close enough. There were supposed to be buttons sewed onto the back, but the hell if I knew how to make a button hole (yes, I KNOW there is a doo-dad for that!) and I figured grasping the idea of ruffle-making was all my gelatinous mass of grey matter could absorb for the month.
So here it is:
|Daddy, why is Mommy crying??|
Actually, that's one I whipped up for Rhiannon. During a
screaming fit moment of hopelessness while trying to figure out how to make Ruffles, I put my apron stuff away and picked up some scraps and decided to make Rhiannon her own apron. I needed to accomplish something other than swearing so I figured I'd whip out a small apron and at least have some feeling of accomplishment. Do I get extra credit for making two aprons??
I finished my apron just before 4 o'clock yesterday evening and tried it on. And I wanted to die.
Don't get me wrong. I am painfully aware that I'm thirty pounds overweight. Mama Pea's Apron makes her look skinny, but obviously mine has the opposite effect. Not only does the camera add ten pounds to your image, my apron must add an additional fifteen because when I saw the look Paul gave me as I put it on, I knew it had to be, well, unflattering.
So I looked in the mirror. Horrified at the shapeless form staring back at me. Well, not really horrified, but a little saddened. But since you were all going to post pictures of yourselves in your apron (you HAVE, haven't you?!?!), I figured I may as well post mine.
Besides, if I had any stalkers following my blog, this should cause them to run for the hills and pack salt in their eyelids in an attempt to remove the image of me from their retinas.
So here it really is:
The apron that I was going to serve Thanksgiving dinner in. If I didn't spend so much stinking time on it, I would give it to the dogs to sleep on. Well, maybe.
I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I did get some hands-on sewing experience that I desperately needed. But I still wasn't too happy with the bib coverage; I thought it should have covered more. But then again, the model in the "Easy Sewing" pattern picture didn't have as much mid-section real estate to cover as I do.
I am going to make another apron because I really do need one that covers more of the top half. But one that doesn't require ruffles. Or buttons. Or slip stitching. Or interfacing. Or basting.....
I will never again complain about the price of homemade aprons again.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in THEIR apron!! Hint-hint!