It didn't bode very well when I first candled this batch, so I suppose it's not that big of a surprise that none of them hatched. But what the heck was I doing wrong??
So I did what any other curious homesteading chicken raising weirdo does. I cracked open what I thought were the viable eggs on the evening of day twenty-three. And of the seven "maybe good" eggs, four of them had half-developed chicks, the others had black blobs attached to the yolks. So some of them developed more than others, but then just stopped.
I am still not sure what I did wrong. I've successfully hatched out at least five batches of eggs in the past, three of which I used this exact incubator, the same themometer (with humidity level) and even had the incubator in the exact location as the other times. There was a day that I noticed that the humidity was in the low 40's, but I corrected that within a 24 hour period.
I started collecting eggs again and started the spare incubator up with another forty-seven eggs in it on the 13th of May. I'm going to candle them in a few more days. If the viable to dud egg ratio is as bad as it was this time I'm just going to toss them all so I don't have to keep watch over them for two more weeks for nothing.
And since it seems that I'm a glutton for punishment, I have these questionable items in the incubator:
One of Paul's co-workers was brush hogging last week and came upon