Monday, December 17, 2012

More Fast Food

Rhiannon loves hamburgers.  L.O.V.E.S. them.  Ask her what she wants to have for breakfast/lunch/dinner/supper and she'll say "hamgerber" or chicken.

I am not so high and mighty of a healthy-food-freak that I haven't done my share of feasting at the local burger joint.  But seven-dollar burgers at the sit-down restaurant in town or even the crappy dollar menu burgers at the fast food joint just aren't going to happen all that often.

I had a weak moment at the grocery store last week and bought a package of pre-formed, frozen hamburger patties.  Normally I like to make our own using local burger, but I'm always forgetting to take it out of the freezer to defrost and this time there was NO time for defrosting.  I had a hungry kidd'o at home and she wanted burgers!

So I cooked up all twelve burgers, fed the hamburger-craving toddler and then individually wrapped the remaining cooked patties and stuck them in the freezer.  The last time I baked homemade buns I had extra so put them in the freezer.

Now when Rhiannon wants a hamburger it takes me less than five minutes to pull out the frozen burgers & rolls, pop them in the microwave, assemble as directed by toddler, then place it in front of her gaping maw:

So far I've been successful with the burgers, pancakes and kid-sized pizzas.  I'm always looking for freezer-fast-food ideas for Rhiannon.  Anyone have any good ones they'd like to share?

8 comments:

  1. Good gawd! That gerber is as big as her head! I loves me a kid that loves to eat! Good idea with the precooking. I am always forgetting to pull something out of the freezer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh... Everything she likes, I would think. I've got enchiladas, mac & cheese, lasagna, cupcakes, cookies, muffins, meatballs. The list is endless in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's chowin' down on that burger!! :)
    I could use some quick from the freezer meal ideas for my big kid too, you know...the husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great thing to have a freezer! I need to freeze more ready made meals too. Except I don't have a microwave, which means a slower route from freezer to table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my GK's I precooked bacon, sausage, pork hot dogs, pork patties and pancakes like you. Works great and keeps the peace

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy those too when hubstead is hungry.It is a fast fix to the hunger problem and some taste pretty good too.I get the thick and tasty ones and their huge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That burger looks pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heehee I love that photo of Rhiannon, I'm with her, I'm a burger girl! I've precooked bacon as well as someone above mentioned, and also have a baggie of cooked shredded chicken I keep in the freezer for last minute main-dish nachos, very popular on Friday nights here :) Jane at Hard Work Homestead did a post last year on black bean burgers which are really good if you are into trying those, my kids didn't notice the difference once they were grilled with a nice charcoal flavor LOL

    ReplyDelete