I ended up giving her the banamine shot at 6pm last night even though I was "supposed" to wait 12 hours between shots, which would have been at 10pm. But to hell with "supposed to" when her fever was edging up again. I wasn't going to chance her getting any hotter. And within an hour her internal temperature was going back down. I checked on her during the night and every time she was standing up. Not sure if she got up when she heard the gate open or if she's just been standing up the entire time. Which I guess is better for her rumen and lungs anyhow, but I just wonder if she's in pain when she's putting all that pressure on her belly and udder.
The wound on her udder has healed over just fine. It's just a smooth scab; no puss, no infection-looking stuff. If I didn't know any better and just saw this wound (and wasn't there for the actual wounding), I would have just shrugged it off to a scrape. But just because it's looking fine, it's obvious there's some sort of infection in her bloodstream and I'm wondering if it's from the wound or if it is something else that just so happened to coincide with the udder accident.
I was thinking that her labored breathing yesterday (or was it the day before? I'm not even sure what day it is, ugh!) was because of the fever, but maybe she had pneumonia? I don't know and not sure if I'll ever find out, but at least the treatment is the same.
Her temperature earlier this morning (5:30) was 103.6 - only a tenth of a degree above the higher end of normal, so I waited the 12 hours to give her the third shot of banamine. She also is going to need another round of penicillin in another half hour.
|My window sill looks like a drug addict lives here.|
Sorry if this is boring some of you. But it's nice to have a detailed record of this in addition to my scribbling on the calendar. You'll be wishing I'd do one of my batshitcrazy Political Rants after this.
And thank you for all your blogosphere well wishings and thoughts for Nettie.