Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sad / Happy Day

Those of you who may have been following my blog for a while may remember the day We got a Harley.

Then we had the "incident" with the goat kids (all my fault, BTW).

Later there was the conversation with the neighbors when we found out that Harley had more than likely killed one of their Polish Crested roosters.  And the mysterious deaths of two of Christine's Silkies earlier this summer.

And some not-expected venison on the dinner plate.

We haven't had a single chicken "incident" in a few months and Harley has been sticking around the house like a good dog. 

Until earlier this week.  Another dead hen and the rooster was missing for a day.  I found the rooster, pretty chewed up & missing tail feathers, but alive.  The rooster is now recooperating in the small kidding pen; I think he'll make it.

I've been putting it off for too long and I guess this really was the last straw.  Kidding season is just around the corner and I cannot have him chewing on any more livestock.  I called a local large dog sanctuary, the Humane Society and put an ad in the local paper.  And today I met Harely's new owner.

She's on five acres in the country, down a dirt road away from any busy streets, and has no livestock for Harley to chase / chew on.  She has a beagle mutt (just like Moonshine!) and no children at home.  She lost her German Shepherd of 14 years a few years ago and hasn't been able to look for another companion until recently.  And she saw my ad in the paper and called me.

Harley, I'm going to miss you.  And I'm sorry that we couldn't provide an adequate home for you.  But I truly hope that you will love your new owner and home.....even more than you did us.

PS - as I don't like to end on a "bummer" note, I'd like to mention the funny/ironic tidbit that I just yesterday bought a 50 pound bag of dog food.  Of course.  At least I won't have to buy dog food for Moonshine.....for like a year.  Ugh.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found a new home for Harley. Sounds like the best arrangement for both of you. Good job making a hard decision, Carolyn. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did the right thing, for everyone. I bet his new owner is beyond thrilled, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes our hearts rule over logic and it takes time to adjust to do the right thing. I am sorry this had to happen. Harley will now be in a better situation as not to be tempted with animals. Give Moonshine plenty of hugs. Hug for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear this, but what great news that you were able to find a great new home, hopefully he'll do great there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear this. But, sometimes, it's for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did the right thing. We had to find new homes for a couple of dogs in the past too and it's never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way I see it, Harley, his new owner, and you, are all going to be happier :-) You did the right thing. Buying 50 lbs of dog food just before he left is surely somethng I would have done LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you never mistreated Harley but he's going to be happier in a place where he won't have "to be in trouble" for doing what he feels is natural. Sounds as if his new owner will give him lots of love and good food. What more could he ask? I'm sure it was a hard decision for you, but the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn R, I was afraid it would end like this. My experience has been that once they begin that behavior, they can't be trusted again.

    Thankfully, our chicken killing/playing with them dog isn't interested in any other livestock!

    I am sorry it didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind words....now AND before when this first started happening. It just took longer than I want to admit to finally get the gumption to admit it and find him a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Carolyn...I am so sorry to hear it didn't work out with Harley...but it sounds like it may be a match made in heaven for the new owner. You did a really good thing for all concerned...especially the chickens! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete