Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday Oven Lovin - Or Pea Soup Facial

Winter has FINALLY come to The Ozarks.  Not that I'm partial to the wind, the freezing temperatures or having to constantly chip ice out of the water buckets, but it means that the wood stove will be cranked.

We've had some weird warm weather lately and the wood stove hasn't been chocked-full of wood yet.  It's going at night and through the morning, but during the middle of the day it becomes cool enough to touch. 

But since our daytime high temperatures were only in the low 30's mid-week I'd been keeping the stove a-blazing.  Perfect for making Pea Soup!

One of the great benefits of having a Christmas Ham.....
leftovers and bone for making Pea Soup!

8 cups water
2 cups split green peas (dry)
Ham bone (or leftover bits of ham)
Bay leaf (or two)
Onion, chopped
3 Celery stalks, chopped
2 Carrots, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
Dried hot pepper flakes (optional....not for me though)

Toss everything into a pot and simmer over medium heat until the peas get mushy & the soup looks like, well, Pea Soup.  I had my pot on top of the wood stove for six hours, lid on for the first two & then took the lid off for the remainder of the time so some of the water would evaporate & the soup would thicken a little (I like my soups more stew-like).  If you were to make your soup on top of a stove, I'm sure it wouldn't take quite as long.  I'm sure this would also work well in a crock pot.

It was very difficult to avoid passing by the pot without dipping out "just a little" soup into a cup.  And I would have just sat there with my face hovering above the pot, inhaling the heavenly aromas of pea-soup-steam had the front of my thighs not been burning from the heat coming off the stove.

Have a recipe you'd like to share with the blogosphere?  Then head over to Tiny Gardener's blog and submit yours to her "Oven Lovin" on Saturdays.

5 comments:

  1. Omigosh! I'm actually able to comment on your blog again! Quick, let me do it before Blogger snatches the comment box away from me!

    I made a big ol' pot of Green Split Pea Soup day before yesterday. I didn't have a ham bone though (sob) so I put in some Sweet Italian Sausage sliced up. We've eaten some of it for the past two days from what I didn't put in the freezer. (It was BIG pot!) Three and a half quarts are stacked away in the deep freeze for later use.

    Love that wood stove . . . but watch you don't burn your buns . . . or thighs! Hee-hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a lott'a pea soup! I wish I had made a bigger batch.....but that's the biggest cast iron pot I have! We just had some pea soup and toasted sandwiches for lunch and I think that there's only enough soup left for two more bowls :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been jonesing for some split pea soup but it has actually been too warm here to want to eat it! How fun to cook on top of the wood stove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, split pea soup. That is the only reason we even HAVE ham around here! Looks like a tasty recipe my dear! Now I've gotta go catch up on all the posts I've missed of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My DH doesn't like split pea soup, green or otherwise. I wish he did; I liked it a lot.

    I added some chunks of ham to some pinto beans (not soupy) yesterday and added fried potatoes and cornbread. That is what you call downhome country cookin'.

    ReplyDelete