Sunday, September 11, 2011

Can today be a happy day?

September 11th used to be a good day.  The birthday of one of my best childhood friends.  But ten years ago, everyone will remember that day, not for her day of birth, but for other reasons.

I've gone back & forth for a couple of days regarding what, if any, kind of post I would submit today.  I knew that there would be a slew of other bloggers doing 9-11 posts and didn't want to clog up the blogosphere with just another post about the Twin Towers.  Not that I want to disrespect those who gave their lives to help others, nor to forget those who needlessly died that horrific day ten years ago, but I'm not sure I could actually say anything useful or even anything that hasn't already been said.

But here I am, blogging about it anyhow. 

For those of you who may have lost friends or family ten years ago, I wish you the best in healing your families, your hearts and your minds. 

Don't forget the atrocities that were committed that day.  But also don't forget the atrocities that our own government has committed (and continues to commit) in the name of that fateful day.  It is a disgrace to those that were murdered and those that sacrificed their lives so that others could live.

And although I'm not sure if you read this blog or not........"Happy Birthday Jaime!"  I still think of today as YOUR day!

6 comments:

  1. I've gone back and forth too...for the same reasons. I was a "witness" to history, that's all. I didn't loose anyone I knew but that didn't change the impact of that day. I've chosen not to watch the TV specials. I don't need it rehashed by news anchors that try to sensationalize it all for ratings. I spent the morning outside appreciating the fact that me and mine are still here to enjoy this beautiful life. So "Yes" I think today CAN be a happy day. That doesn't mean I don't remember...I'll always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such an important day in history. I remember it so well, I can't believe it has been 10 years. Time waits for no one. (wisdom from my Grandma)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9-11 was one of those events that occur in our life time when we can remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when it happened. I agree with Tami that it's not something that should be sensationalized for media ratings. I'm sure we all remembered it in our own way, with our own thoughts, for our own reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to what MamaPea said. Exactly, word for word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like anything else that scars a nation, do we benefit from reliving the horror, year after year? I don't think so. And I think it is safe to say that no one will forget what happened and how it affected each of us. And (lots of 'ands'!) I applaud your inclusion of the atrocities perpetrated in the name of this atrocity. Where will it end?

    ReplyDelete