Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Apron Anxiety

Susan at e-i-e-i-omg! dared us to join her in an Apron Sew-Off a few weeks ago and I was more than happy to take up the challenge.  Mostly because I’ve been meaning to make myself an apron for like ever and never seem to get around to it.  Not because of lack of patterns (I have two pattern packets, each with three different patterns) or lack of material (I have enough yardage in various fabrics to clothe half the country), but because I just lack the ambition.
I love the idea of making my own apron and a matching one for Rhiannon.  I’m always complaining how I’m constantly splattering my clothes with kitchen catastrophes and although I do have two aprons, neither cover up enough of my “Northern real estate”.  The fronts just don’t provide enough protection from the boiling hot bubbles of spaghetti sauce or thermo-nuclear splatters of grease from frying chicken livers.
Anyways…….I finally found one that has a full front; kind of reminds me of the old time aprons that actually looked like a dress, but with an open back.  And since it’s now the second week of November, I figured I should get working on it if I actually plan on wearing it for Thanksgiving of this year.
So here’s what I’ve accomplished so far:

Yep.  Pulled the instruction sheet out of the packet.  Just the instruction sheet.  Not even the actual pattern.

I think I’ve only made one thing using a pattern years and years ago, and I don’t remember what it was or if I even finished it.  Those instructions just freak me out. 
It’s not like I’m a complete moron (well, if you don’t count the whole trying-to-farm thing), I’m quite literate, good with numbers and pretty dexterous with a pair of kitchen shears (that is what you use to cut out fabric, right???).
Why can’t I grasp the idea of a pattern?  I get the color coding stuff (pattern side/wrong side), but as soon as I start reading the instructions, I stove up.  These are the simple patterns!  And what the hell is a selvage anyways????
So there it sits.  So close to my sewing machine, pins, scissors and other sewing notions, but light-years away from being finished.
Maybe a Hot Toddy will help things along. 
Really.

13 comments:

  1. lol... I'm not sure if I have anything to add, but this did make me smile. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathe... breathe... in through the nose... out through the mouth...
    You can do it.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patterns freak me out too. It's almost as bad as cutting new soles for your shoes from those gargantuian ones you buy and hoping they fit :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) This sums up how I feel about sewing from a pattern as well, and why I haven't even begun to cut out my pieces yet. I agree. "Easy" is relative! Best of luck to you on your project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweet girl, I think you and I are cut from the same cloth with a pair of kitchen shears. :) I have pattern anxiety like you wouldn't believe, and this is what I have learned for sewing ANYTHING: Youtube is your friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You better get cuttin' there cookie! You're running out of time :-) .....when I couldn't figure out what the instructions meant I just did it "my way". It worked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This put a smile on my face. I have the opposite problem, I get the patterns but for the life of me no matter what I do I can't cut straight and even. This is why I am still yet to make an apron for myself, for the time being my poor clothes keep getting splattered lol. Cant wait to see your final product, you may inspire me yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, it is so much easier to have someone show you how it goes together rather than trying to decipher the pattern instructions. Anybody around you that knows how to sew? I'm sure they could help you over the stuck parts and it wouldn't take them hardly any time at all so if it's a possibility . . . don't hesitate to ask. Wish we lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a big problem with us "free-thinkers". Patterns, schmatterns. Recipes, bah. I usually just use the big pieces and noodle around with the rest until it looks okay. Just you wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you are kidding, but the selvedge is the finished edge of the fabric....the sides if you will.

    Wish you were near and I could help you out. I live in an apron, but just the simple chef-style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh well, at least you are further along than I am! LOL!! My pattern is still outside in the shed! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. Patterns used to include a glossary of terms, but apparently not anymore! It's been ages since I've sewn anything with a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the encouragement! And for those of you joining in on the Sew-Off, how's YOUR apron coming along??? :)

    ReplyDelete