Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chick Check (checking OUT, that is)

Well, we weren't too late in butchering the Cornish crosses; this weekend would have been week nine.

There are now eleven chickens wrapped up in the freezer and only fourteen more to go.  Hopefully we'll finish them tomorrow.  Figures. I just bought another fifty pound bag of chicken food.  But the hens will be more than happy to eat it.

I was thinking about posting a chicken butchering photo log, but figured you've all seen chickens being butchered before.  If not, and if someone really, really wants me to photographically document the process, just let me know and I'll try to remember to take pictures tomorrow.

I did, however, make sure to take a picture of our lunch this afternoon:
Artery-Clogging Fried Chicken Liver Goodness!
I just LOVE fried chicken livers.  I really like them with a carmalized onion dippy sauce, but I was too hungry and lazy to make it so just ate them as is.  Paul was even hungry enough to want to eat them so I had to share.

We've cleaned up the kitchen and outside where all the messy stuff happens and I now have my pressure canner filled up with chicken carcasses, neckbones and chicken feet (yes, the feet) from last year's chicken harvest.  Had to make room in the freezer for the new chickens.  It will be nice to have some chicken soup stock ready for the cold days that are just around the corner.

10 comments:

  1. Wow...toss me some livers, please! Those look SO yummy. But you can keep the feet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it's a messy operation both inside and out (if you ask me) but when it's all done, isn't it a great feeling to have all that good, good meat put by? If any of us had to, we could live very well for a long time on chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think those chicken livers were all that artery clogging. I'm just thinking of the good dose of vitamin A and D you just got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The liver looks great! I'd eat one, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lunch looks soooo good! And depending on the fat you used, (have you read Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions?) fried food is not artery clogging after all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK- tell a newbie how to make stock-carcasses, feet and all. I guess I have to bite the bullet and invest in a pressure canner. You really are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never butchered a chicken but would like to learn. No, no, don't do a photo shoot just for me! LOL!! I really want to find someone locally who would let me come and help so I can learn firsthand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tami, I'd love to toss you some...but they are all gone!

    MamaPea, yes, it is a good feeling to have some homegrown food in the freezer. Especially homegrown food that has the potential to be made into GRAVY!!

    dr momi, hmmmmm...good point!

    Patty, alas, they are long gone. Swing by next butchering & I'll fry you up some!

    Leigh, just used veggie oil to fry it in. Will have to look up that book one day soon so I can tell everyone to shut their yap when they tell me I use too much butter (or lard, or cream......)

    Hoosier, I'll try to remember to put the "recipe" in my next blog post. Unfortunately, it's just some of this and a little of that.

    Candy, It's really not hard at all. And you get a biology lesson out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes please put a butchering step by step up, I will need to do some here in about 10 weeks, I have been shown once how to do it a month or 2 ago but would love some pics for my first go alone. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delldgm, I'm sorry but I didn't take any pictures of the actual killing / butchering, but I did do a long & boring post about it today. Don't worry, it's easy! It is definately worth scalding the birds in the hot water though. It takes more prep time to get the water going, but you more than make up for the time in the feather-removal. Also, make sure you have SHARP knives and know how to sharpen them! I'll try to post some more detailed info. later today or tomorrow for ya.

    ReplyDelete