Monday, January 13, 2014

Oh Poop.

I was out doing some barn chores this afternoon and almost stepped in a very runny, very messy goat poop plop.  Like, melted chocolate soft-serve ice cream kind'a plop (you're welcome for the visual).

So I immediately go around chasing goats (who normally would come running up to me, but the instant they suspect that I need them to come to me, they run for the hills) trying to figure out who's backside the abnormal plop came from.

It didn't take long to find out as Nettie's backside was icky.  I tempted her (and everyone else, of course) up to the barn by shaking a bucket and got her up on the stanchion.  I filled the feeder with a handful of alfalfa pellets, locked her in and went to gather some supplies from the house.

Since I now had my animal medical kit all straightened out, it was a breeze finding what I needed.  And while I was in the kit, I grabbed stuff to give Lily, Pickles and Chop Suey their yearly CD/T shots since they were due soon.  I went back to the barn, cleaned Nettie up and took her temperature.  102.6 degrees; pretty much normal.  Checked her eyelids and they looked a little pale, but hers never did look bright pink.  Gave her 5ml of Probios and 5ml of Vitamin B Complex and let her finish her alfalfa pellets in peace.

I'm not sure what caused her diarrhea, but now that I think about it, when I forked over some "new" hay yesterday, everyone but Nettie went running towards it.  She was laying down (as were half the herd), soaking up the sunshine so I figured she just didn't want to move from her sunny spot.  Now I wonder if she had a stomach ache.  And wonder from what.

I went out again during feeding time and took her temperature again and it was 102.3; still within normal range.  Everyone else got their normal rations of grain, but I gave Nettie more alfalfa pellets instead of grain to try and firm up things.  Tonight I'll make up a salt solution and get ready to do a fecal sample in the morning and look for any worm load.  Guess tomorrow is going to be a Turd-tastic Tuesday.

8 comments:

  1. It's hard to figure what them dang goats get into sometimes! I hope everything is coming out okay today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter just dealt with that issue, with one of her goats. He gives them a homemade remedy using buttermilk and other ingredients. It works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I live vicariously through you and your goats, the less I want goats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good goat mama . . . plus kudos to you for having the initiative and knowledge to do some doctorin' on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a science study course coming up for Rhiannon. Who will be Arkansas' brightest child by the time you get through with her. Either that, or she will take over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope every thing is okay. I agree with Susan. Rhiannon will be quite the young lady when she grows up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you described is one of the reasons I want to sell my goats. I'm getting tired of the little "surprises".

    ReplyDelete