Monday, May 26, 2014

Whittling down the goat herd

Three of the Boer kids left to go to the local FFA barn last weekend.  I sold MamaGoat's doeling on Saturday.  Now all I have to do is get rid of Penny.  I thought I had her sold, but that fell through.  Twice now.  And I have another potential buyer but I'm not getting my hopes up until I see somebody pull up in a truck with a livestock cage in back and waving a Benjamin at me. I'm tempted to bring her to the sale barn but it's an hour trip there plus whatever rigmarole I have to go through to get her registered, and hour back home, and then a wait on the check.  I've got her on the local livestock paper and FB pages for a hundred bucks.  If it was ME looking for a goat there wouldn't be one within six hundred miles for less than $350, but the second I need to sell one the goat market takes a freaking nosedive.  If it weren't for the fact that I don't even think she's worth it to us in meat costs, I'd slaughter her.  Yes, that sounds horrible, but she needs to go.  I'm even going to sell her doeling, either with her or without her, but only after Penny is sold.

I'm also thinking of getting "rid" of my future milkers, Annette's doelings.  Well, not exactly get rid of them, but ship them off to finishing school, or something like that.  I had a message from the gal who spearheaded the Community Food Pantry Garden asking if I had any goats that Mountain Village 1890 (the place where the garden is) could "borrow" for the Summer and Fall.  Apparently they used to have a petting zoo there, gave it up, but want to start one again.  I don't have any wethers to give them, but Annette's two doelings need to be weaned.  I was just yesterday trying to figure out how I was going to separate the pens in order to wean them, but I think this petting zoo proposition may work just fine.

A friend of mine suggested that I should let them have Pickles.  Now why didn't I think of that?!? Although I wonder if they'd totally hate me if I dumped my screaming-mimi goat on them.  I'm going over there again this week to check out the livestock facilities and talk with the owners to see if something can be worked out.  I'm a little leery of letting my two future milkers go to someone I'm not good friends with even if it's only for a few months, but the facility is close enough that I can check on them at least once a week and then do some gardening work on the food pantry plot while I'm there.

Speaking of food plots, I have yet to plant ANY squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, bush beans or ANYthing in the "new" garden area.  Mostly because it's still a rock-infested hell-hole of a garden where only mullein, ragweed and other non-edible plants thrive.  But Paul did me a favor this afternoon that should get my sloth'ness out there tomorrow to start working on it.  Pictures tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Ya by the time you drove there and all it wouldn't be worth your while to sell one Goat I would imagine. Although you could load the three of them up and just get rid of all three that might pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brain gets all dizzy following your game of Goat Chinese Checkers! Lots of decisions to be made, but I admire the way you seem to be able to look at a situation and figure it out. I wonder if Pickles would be any different (not so vocal) in a different environment? (Wouldn't that be nice?) Good luck in getting it all sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can' quite keep up with your goat herd......but then, I don't need to. You are the one who has to keep track.(and milk them).

    I finally got some garden in and then the rains hit. Couldn't have timed it better. One of the rare times it worked out that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you sell (giveaway) Pickles, make sure you lock your gate and take the phone off the hook. I know what you mean about the goat market - I am having a deuce of a time finding a good home for my trio. Say....you have room now.....

    ReplyDelete