Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween & 'Za

Guess what we had for dinner over the weekend?
It’s definitely NOT Chicago pizza, but it’s darned good anyhow.  I would have put more goat cheese on top, but I didn’t want the racks in the oven to buckle with the weight.
Pizza Dough
1 Tablespoon Yeast
1 ½ Cups warm water
1 ½ teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons oil
4 cups flour
Pinch of sugar
Pizza Sauce – mix following ingredients together
1 can (6 oz.) Tomato Paste
½ cup water
1 teaspoon EACH, Oregano, Basil, Salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon oil
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
I use half of the dough for the actual pizza & the other half I roll out onto a baking sheet for breadsticks.  I brush olive oil on the dough then sprinkle with garlic salt & parmesan cheese  & cut into sticks.  The pizza dough is rolled out & put onto a mesh pizza screen.  I let both of them rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm spot.  Bake in 375 degree oven.  About 12 minutes for the dough, then take it out to put on the sauce, cheese and toppings & stick it back in the oven until cheese / toppings are done.  Keep the breadsticks in the oven until browned. 
My Mom’s church is had a “Trunk or Treat” in their parking lot yesterday evening.  You bring your vehicle & decorate the trunk (or bed of the truck in our case) and hand out Halloween goodies to the kids.  I thought that was a great idea.  There are a lot of kids who live out in the country & can’t really go door-to-door for Halloween trick or treating.  Goodness knows the five years we’ve been here there has never been a trick-or-treater come down to our house.  I’m sure there have been other things like this in the past, but not having a child before, I never took note of it. 
I didn’t decorate the truck like I had originally planned, just kind of tossed it together at the last minute.  But we brought lots of toys & candy so I don’t think the kids even noticed our “Blah” truck.  Next year we’ll bring the “Haunted Trailer” to the event…..if I don’t procrastinate like I did this year.
There were lots of vehicles decorated & some even had games to play for candy / prizes.  Someone even brought two of those huge blow-up jumpy / slide things.  Which Rhiannon could NOT get enough of.  I stayed in the jumping area with her so she wouldn’t get smooshed by the older kids, and even after I thought she had totally exhausted herself, she would just scream like a banshee if we took her out.  
Hope everyone had a great Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try your pizza recipe. I make pizza a lot, but we are on a chicken hot wing topping kick right now. I am your newest follower coming from Homesteading Today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish we had wings left over from butchering this year, but we usually just keep them whole for roasting. I LOVE hot wings - Ok, maybe not HOT wings, but a Honey BBQ sauce is great with them. Too bad chickens don't have like six wings each, now THAT would be cool!

    Speaking of pizza, do you have an "easy" mozarella recipe? I have to try to make some in the next day or two (have extra milk), but mine never really comes out very good.

    Love your blog too! (guess I should go there now to check out what YOU'RE doing) Aren't blogs great?

    ReplyDelete