Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise

Contrary to what my Sister believes, you can make mayo at home.  And you don’t need any fancy ingredients. 
Paul & Rhiannon made some whole wheat sourdough bread yesterday afternoon & it was just screaming to be made into some tuna-melt sandwiches. 
Bread – check.  Tuna – check.  Cheese – check.  Mayo……nope. 
Not that I forgot to stock my pantry with Mayo.  I just haven’t purchased store Mayo (or MiracleWhip…ick) in over five years.  I suppose it wouldn’t be a horrible idea to keep some store-bought, shelf-stable mayo in the pantry though as the homemade stuff doesn’t keep for more than a day or two. 
Anyhow, in order to make dinner, I needed to make some mayonnaise.  I’m not a mayo-purist as I don’t have all my ingredients at room temperature, I don’t mix it by hand and I do use the entire egg.
I got this recipe from the Joy of Cooking:
Put the following in a blender:  1 egg, 1 tsp. dry mustard, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. sugar, ¼ c. vegetable oil.  Cover & blend on high until completely mixed.  While blender is still running, slowly add another ½ cup vegetable oil until mixed.  Then add 3 Tbsp. lemon juice.  Then slowly add another ½ cup oil & blend until creamy.  You may have to start & stop the blender to scrape down the sides to make sure all is combined.  Use immediately and store unused portion in refrigerator immediately.
Technically the original recipe calls for a dash of cayenne, but I’ve never added it. 
So I made our tuna melts and still have a load of mayo left.  Remember, this stuff won’t last but a day or two in the fridge.  And I probably wouldn’t use it for deviled eggs or macaroni salad for a summer-picnic at the beach.  Raw eggs, you know. 
Now I’ve got extra mayo to go through so I think I’ll look up another recipe for a salad dressing to have with supper tomorrow night.

6 comments:

  1. This looks so fresh and delicious! Going to make some today. I just found you over at Glenda's blog. I'm an Ozark blogger too, down near Rogers, AR. Come over for a visit sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in as one of your newest online-blogger-stalkers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ol' Joy Of Cooking. I love that cookbook but confess I've balked at making my own mayonnaise. You make it look so easy though. About how long did you have to run the blender? I'd love to have mayo with the oils and ingredients I choose, rather than paying a premium at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blender was on "high" for maybe three or four minutes max. Just make sure to add the oil in a small stream while the blender is going. If you add it all at once it doesn't blend as well. I'm looking forward to making an olive oil & fresh herb mayo with cucumber tea sandwiches this summer (when the herbs & cukes are coming in).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made mayonnaise either. I am one of those Miracle Whip (ick) people.

    Did you know there are lots of cake recipes calling for mayonnaise (up to l cup) . Might be a good way to use it before you loose it. Even two cakes.....and freeze. I hate to waste good home made things.

    Don't you love the Joy of Cooking? I have made several recipes from it and have been very pleased with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, here I am. The idiot sister who didn't know you can "make" your own mayo, who lives in the "cushy" suburbs of IL and has a Jewel, Dominicks AND Mejier grocery store just miles from my house, I have to ask...
    Why doesn't the homemade stuff last for more than 2 days? My Miracle Whip Light(YUM)lasts forever (well, not technically, but you know what I mean)?

    And where the heck do I get dry mustard? Am I suppose to have this in my spice rack? Will I ever use it?? I'm assuming that it is NOT the same a bottled Yellow Mustard (which I have a plethora of in the fridge)

    ReplyDelete