Monday, February 28, 2011

If it isn't one thing, it's a 4.7

I was wanting to scrape another section of yard in order to start another garden spot, but it’s really soggy out there after the storm last night.  It was a doozy too.  I love thunderstorms, especially at night when you can see the lightning flash across the sky.  But like most storms, strong winds came with it, and that I don’t so much like.  I’m paranoid of tornados.  If there’s a storm coming, I’ve got the real-time radar on my laptop on until it’s over.
As if a nasty thunderstorm weren’t enough, I felt my first earthquake last night.  I was up late (watching the radar map) and around 11 o’clock I heard rattling & felt the house shake.  I kind’a sat there for a second or two then got up to see what was making noise.  I have a wall-mounted clock that has three glass shelves inside for knick-knacks and they were rattling.  I just sat there staring at them thinking, what the heak?  I put my hand on the wall & felt it vibrating.  Then my heart dropped as I thought it was a tornado’s first blast at the house.  But there was no wind; the storm was still about an hour away (I just love that radar website!).  After a minute I put two & two together and figured it was an earthquake.  Checked the usgs.gov website & confirmed my suspicion.  A 4.7 quake hit central Arkansas, with several other aftershocks.  Guess there’s a fault down there that’s been pretty active lately.  Nothing big enough to do much damage, but still kind’a freaky.  Last night’s quake was the largest since 1969.  I figured if we ever felt earthquake tremors, it would be from The New Madrid Fault.  But alas, I now have two fault lines that are within my home range.  Something new to worry about. 

I wonder how many people called their insurance companies today to see if they were covered for earthquake damage.  I know earthquake insurance was an “adder” for our homeowner’s policy, and we don’t have it. 
Maybe I’ll call our insurance company in a few days (after the initial flood of calls subside) to see what it would cost.  You know, just because I’m curious. 
Oh, and would somebody, anybody please join in my giveaway!  I'm getting a complex that nobody wants to enter!  Click"Here" to see the post for it.

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you on the fear of tornados. We had one go through here when I was a kid, now every bad storm has me planning an escape into the fruit cellar. Hate, hate, hate high winds. Arkansas has been having a terrible time with the earthquakes. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived in Indiana for 4 years and had a tornado touch down near our house. I am deathly afraid of those too!! I grew up in Oregon where they never have them!!

    ReplyDelete