After processing the grapes into juice, it was time to make the jelly.
I put five cups of grape juice into the pot, turned on the heat to high and stirred in the package of pectin until it was dissolved. Brought the juice/pectin to a roiling boil for one minute, then dumped the six cups of sugar in. Stirred until it came back to a roiling boil for a full minute then took it off the burner.
Poured the almost-jelly into pint jars, wiped rims, placed lids and bands on and processed in my canning pot for 10 minutes. While the first batch was in the canner, I started on the second batch.
And here's what I ended up with:
Actually, there is one more pint jar and a small jelly jar but I stuck those in the fridge (have to taste test you know), so I got over nine pints of grape jelly processed. I also have about a pound and a half of grapes as well as 4 1/2 cups of juice left. I put the grapes in a bag and the juice in a glass jar (with room for expansion, of course!) and stuck it in the freezer. I figure when I get my butt back outside I'll pick some more grapes and continue my jelly making.
I did notice that the jelly was much darker than the 2010 harvest and it seems to taste a lot more "grapey". I think it may be because the grapes were so small and maybe the grapey'ness was therefore more concentrated. Got me. All I know is that if I can get another two batches done I'll be set in grape jelly for at least a year.
When we went berry picking at the local berry farm this spring, I picked enough to make over seven pints of blackberry jam. And in the next few days I'll be trying my hand at Apple (core) Jelly.
I think we'll be set in the jelly department after that. Now if I could just grow peanuts :)